Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Hexagon Quilt Finished!

I started this quilt last summer and I finally finished it!! It is all hand pieced and hand quilted... which is what I love to do. Don't get me wrong, I love the convenience of the sewing machine and the speed with which I can produce a quilt. Though I started as a hand quilter and I just love sitting down and working on a quilt one stitch at a time. I love the peaceful feeling I get and forget about the chaos and worries in life for a moment. Also, by working by hand, I can take the quilt pretty much everywhere I go.

Because I have other projects I am working on at home using my sewing machine, I take the project I can work on by hand with me. I stitch in the car while I am waiting at the carpool, I stitch at the kid's Tae Kwan Do studio and I stitch and stitch some more at family gatherings for when I have down time. Basically, I wasn't in a hurry to finish this quilt; it was my fun back burner project. That is why it took almost a year to complete!

The feeling of joy at finishing the project came with a slight panicky feeling like "Yikes, I need a new back burner project!". I have three projects due soon, so I should probably wait on that.

When I quilted this quilt, I didn't draw lines. It was totally free hand and I went with the flow.

I went though my stash and pieced the backing as well.

I have been meaning to find the time to lay on the couch with my quilt and have a really good reading time, but it hasn't happened yet.

Are you working of something right now?

4 comments :

  1. Sachiko, we had a simple living workshop recently and our co-ordinator brought along her hand sewn queen sized hexagon quilt and I was gobsmacked at the amount of work that went into it. I don't think I would have the patience. Yours is a beautiful colour and I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the one you've been working on at the dojang ever so often? It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin